Monday, July 16, 2007

Virgin Colours or Virgin Drinks

I saw this name for a range of plastic bottled drinks on a billboard and it stopped me on my tracks. Colours for drinks!!! Please somebody tell me about the connection. Maybe I'm getting too naive. How on earth are colours the main stay of a soft drinks. I mean I thought the concentrate was more important. Anyway, I thought colours didn't really pass a message with the pictures of bottles. And besides even in such cases who would stop anyone from wandering whether colours came in plastic bootles now. Sincerely, the name of a product counts. It should strike a chord with the human senses on the nature of the product. Drinks are drinks, flavours are falvours and colours are colours. Let's no muddle up things. Believe me: the average Nigerian would view these range of drinks as the normal colorants formerly packaged in polythene bags that used to sell for N1 in the late 80s and early 90s. And i remeber how parents used to discourage their children from going anywhere near those sugar and colour drinks! There is more to a name. It strikes a chord and should strike a chord.

No comments: