Friday, November 21, 2008

Smirnoff Ice’s Wooing Smartness

Smirnoff Ice’s Smart Stuff ad beat me hollow. I mean my attempt to decipher the ad. Two guys (friends) had ‘something’ for same girl. Guy A foolishly leaves his phone behind in pursuit of drinks (I don’t know how this can play out in reality). Guy B, alone with the girl on the table, sneaks his phone out of his pocket and dials his friend’s number. With the other arm, he picks Guy A’s phone and says something to Guy A’s ‘faceless’ girlfriend. The deed has been done. The girl gets the drift ‘Guy A is hooked’ and makes a ‘smart’ move. She settles for Guy B. How foolish?

Sounds really interesting for an ad, eh? Was it smart for the girl to make up her mind without asking questions? Well, you may say Guy B got what he wanted because Guy A played into his hands (by opting to leave his phone behind and offering to get drinks). I wonder how many times I will leave my phone behind just because I was presented with an opportunity of getting drinks.
What were the positives? For me, the smart stuff pay-off was cool. It got my mind racing to a student’s quiz or debate of some sort. I mean an intellectual stuff. Why not a crafty or cunning stuff? Please don’t ask me that. I just thought it will be good PR for them to organise something of that sort, for students. We’ve got smart and dull students. My point is we can also readily attach smartness something positive. Anyway, it would be a worthwhile CSR project too. Or is Smirnoff ice’s smart stuff only for wooing women? If yes, it will appear to be dumb. If no, then it should be more encompassing.
Expecting me to state the negatives? Well, I have said enough of that. Let’s get really smart. And showcase the real smartness: a smartness that we can appreciate in holistic terms. Is that asking for too much from Smirnoff?

No comments: